Skateboarding is on the rise! On the heels of its successful debut at the summer Olympics, skateboarding continues to grow in popularity. It’s a great way for kids to stay active and work on their balance and coordination. It helps establish self confidence and persistence and may be just the activity your child is looking for. Of course getting started with a good kids skateboard will be important.
What is the Right Age for Skateboarding?
Generally speaking most experts seem to feel that waiting till a child is 5 or 6 is a safe choice. You are looking for a baseline development of coordination along with reasonable decision making. Of course proper protective gear and supervision is strongly recommended for any kids under the age of 10.
How to Choose a Skateboard for Your Child
Parents who weren’t skaters themselves aren’t always sure what they should look for in a beginner’s skateboard. Here are a few essential things to consider:
- Skateboard Size: There are different skateboard sizes, which can be chosen according to a skater’s age. For example, the 7”x28” size is perfect for kids who age between 5 and 7 years. For skaters from 8 to 10 years old, get a 7.25”x29” board. In case your son/daughter is 11-12 years old, go for a 7.4” x 30” skateboard.
- Skateboard Quality: Whether your child wants to skateboard for fun or wishes to be a professional skater, buy a real, high-quality skateboard. It should have a lightweight deck with a bit of contour, quality wheels, soft bushings, and performance trucks.
- Skateboard Style: When you are buying kids skateboards, it is especially important to choose a board with a design and look that fits the style of your skater. It will help develop and strengthen your child’s connection with the skateboard. Let your son/daughter choose the skateboard which attracts him/her. Often times they can choose a design as well as colors of the wheels and griptape.
What Protective Equipment Should You Get?
In addition to the perfect skateboard, you should consider different types of protective equipment to ensure that your child is safe while skateboarding. Here are they:
- Helmet: Pick a high-quality helmet that fits your child well. Certified helmets exist to ensure a proper level of testing and protection has been done for skaters.
- Knee Pads, Elbow Pads, Wristguards: Whether a skater is a beginner or a professional, it is important to wear protective gear like knee pads, elbow pads, and wristguards.
- Padded Shorts: Padded shorts provide the ultimate protection for a skateboarder’s rear and hips. While not a requirement by any means, these types of pads can definitely be a nice to have accessory!
Skateboarding becomes so much fun when you give your child an attractive, high quality, and highly functional skateboard along with the protective gear to keep them safe.
I am the content writer for Allblogsidea, where I love what I do. Writing is my passion; it’s what drives me in life. It makes me happy when people share their stories with the world so they can be heard.